Saturday, June 26, 2021

Queensland wandering boots: Day 0, Any journey starts somewhere

 

Months in the planning for this journey and it finally arrives. I spent the week casually packing my bag and looking things up about my trip to north Queensland. I had back around February / March where I wanted to take a holiday north into the deepest, darkest Queensland to explore some areas that I have not been for a long time. My first plan I had to scrap as I was going to be in Cairns for my 40th birthday, but too many people were on holidays at that time. The next was much closer to my birthday that I ended up with being in the Whitsundays instead. That works for me and using my flight credits from the New Zealand journey the year before.

The day hit like a brick as I had been watching the rona spread across Sydney and while I was at work there was a snap lockdown and I was worried I might be stuck without getting into Queensland, although really I live within 5kms of the state border. I scooted home for a shower and was on the way to the airport before we knew it. No problems on the train and I was nice and relaxed when I arrived at the airport hotel that I had booked my night before the push to Mackay.

 

So far the plan is all go and I am lucky that I am not going south rather than north for my birthday as that would really suck as the state has done a lockdown, but Queensland hasn’t as of yet, but things do change and will be interesting to see what happens when I end up arriving back home after a fortnight. I aim to have a good time away and I have breakfast already paid for, so the future is kinda bright already with daylight that is. I had the thought of walking in the dark to the Kingsford Smith museum, but in the dark might be problematic and I think I might need some sleep instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment