Sunday, June 27, 2021

Queensland wandering boots: Day 1 Brisbane to Mackay



 

By the numbers

1 feeling you are missing something, but unsure what

Main bag 10kilos

Backpack 6 kilos

1 book

1 mask

1 plane

18.87 kms walking

24907 steps

 

The day started just before 6am as I wanted to get food and I had breakfast on my tab as part of the deal with the Ibis hotel. I rocked up half asleep downstairs and completely forgot to check the covid checker until the server asked me to and then I was confused about the food. I said I was half asleep, and there were four police officers chatting away having their breakfast too. The coffee machine I thought would dud me out of coffee actually did throw some coffee in the cup. Once fed and waters I walked over the road to the airport putting my mask on right before entering the building. I was worried about using my boarding pass app that I was able to scan to reprint my physical pass and a bag tag, so at least now I know having the app on my phone works.

 

Once I dropped my bag off and with glasses no longer fogging up, I moved through to security where I got an instant call for a bag checker, They took my bag and had it on the otherside of the line without an explanation, nor a discussion over what I wasn’t supposed to have in my bag, but it joined me and I was relieved as I had my wallet and phone in there. I went for a wander looking at what can be seen in the terminal before I caught my flight. There were arcade games of some old games, but they did not seem to work and then there were the pictures of Queensland along the wall to the far end of the Virgin terminal that I followed. They included the visit of Charles and Diana at the Big Pineapple. I ended up back and waiting for the plane to board, which happened on time and we even left on time too. While in the air I gassed myself with a coke by burping and making my eyes water. Mackay airport was small and its more of a blink and miss it case, which was why there were so few bus services there including none on Sundays.

 

I learnt Mackay had been rebuilt after the 1918 cyclone that hit in January of that year causing wide spread damage and deaths. Ships were sunk and there had been little warming. When the city had been rebuilt, it was the reason why there are so many art deco style buildings, which was similar to Napier in New Zealand after the earthquake. I did jump into a taxi that ended up costing me around $20, but the lady was a great tour guide telling me where to go and what there was to look at in the area like I could walk to the beach and look at the coal ships docked at night as the lights were known as diamond necklaces. I could be wrong though and there were heritage walks and I did mention the cemetery that I wanted to visit. Once I got my bags into storage, I took a walk and found the library after stopping for a sandwich. I thought it was a good idea to look for the coach pickups for Greyhound and Premier as I didn’t know where they were. I cannot remember where I stayed or got onto the bus last time I was in Mackay around 18 years ago. Walking past the coach stop, I headed to Queens Park where I wanted to find where the Orchard House was located as I was going to try for a visit the next day. I wandered through the park as I found several memorials including one for the boar war, and wandered to the Orchard House. Some dodgy guy was standing several metres away from the entrance and he spoke to me. He said the house was open and I responded that I thought it was closed. He mentioned it being open for longer on Sundays, and my response was that mum would love me if I went inside. There were plenty of plants and there was information boards inside that spoke of the different types and how to care for them. I looked at the tags on some of the plants and there were not much information on them. Some had longer names and others abbreviations. I spent around 20 mins there though not all the plants were flowering. Would look nice if they were all doing that.

 

After my visit to the Orchard House, I was going to wander back to the hotel slowly, but I somehow ended up walking towards the beach on the path that would take me through the Sandfly Creek walkway that takes me through an environmental reserve that is an area where migratory birds from overseas stop to breed and feed before making the return journey. Besides there are crocs there as well. There are special flood gates to protect the area from floods when the river rises. I ended up walking onto the beach for a quick look down at Iluka Park, but knew time was running out on me. Some random lady tried giving me a pamphlet and I said no thanks, I am right. No idea if she was doing the religious give away, or something else. I followed the path back and found my way to the hotel. They even took a $100 deposit in case of damage and I get that back 5 days later. The room I ended up in was on the farside of the building as it covers the next street, so I am really in the next street, and I have ocean views, if you squint. I filled out a breakfast form and will see if I get something in the morning, or if I am forgotten.

 

After gathering my bags and relaxing in the room for half hour, I wandered out remembering the warning that the cards do not like mobile phones, I headed towards the Canelands shopping centre wondering if it was still open. It was on that walk that I realised, I had forgotten something and that something was the bag I had for my dirty clothes. Somehow I had forgotten it and will find another bag from the supermarket that I can use. Usually I return everything after its been washed or cleaned. The shopping centre was closed, but that was something to do on another day. I headed back to the hotel as I wanted to try the meals at the cafe that was there. The music was live and a little loud, but at least I got some food around 5pm when I had a sandwich around 11am that morning. It was getting dark and I didn’t want to stay out longer than I had to especially with the Origin game on.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment