Sunday, May 26, 2019

Wandering boots tour: Day 7 Fast train to Hamburg



By the numbers
10616 steps
7.9 kms
1 train
I wasn’t feeling that great first thing in the morning as I felt like I had the beginnings of a cold. I was hoping it wouldn’t be something that would last. I had crashed the night  bwfore when someone new had turned up in the room. He was still sleeping when I left around 930am. Today I was off to Hamburg and I was looking forward to the trip by train. When I checked out, I still had around 2 hours to kill and I would be sticking around near the Berlin HBF which is where I will be leaving.

I knew which line to catch the train from and I checked anyway even though it seemed to be a different train number. I found across the road from the station is an old prison that had been built in the 1800s and suffered little damage during the big war and the allies used iut as a prison themselves after the war. I took a wander around it and there was even one cell to give an explanation of what life was like.  It had been demolished partly and trees grown to block the view for the neighbours. The cell I was talking about had an audio program that played. It was in German so have no idea what is going on. I think it was on a loop and people walking past probably thought the same too. Still with time to kill, I found a nearby bridge that had charactures on it and wasn’t very far from the station. It was an interesting bridge and they were fe doing the road so cars couldn’t use it and might be a reason since it is near the Reichstag.

I went to go make sure I cough the train, but I wanted to make sure I was on the right one even though the info told me I was, but there was a train later that had the same number as mu ticket. I was told once I asked that it was the right train and I could catch it. On my return there was a train waiting at the platform. I asked the guard if it was the Hamburg train and he said, yes. I found a seat that said Berlin to Hamburg, which I assumed wasa general thing as no one arrived when we left the station.. Soon turns out I was wrong. A couple claimed the seat and I asked the fateful question. If the signs are blank, then they are not booked seats. I was told yes and it had started with me thinking the guy wanted to sit beside me even though he had his wife with him.. Wandering down to the other end of the carriage, I found no vacant seats, so I sat between carriages. The guard came and went. He got to me and I showed him that I hadn’t self checked in and he said no seat, no check in. I have no idea what he was talking about afterwards. I did get a touch defensive thinking he would kick me off the train for having the wrong ticket. It was like I was in trouble, but he did scan my phone ticket. Think that is a lesson to book a seat even if it costs extra. Then I am guaranteed a seat. I was on the train, so didn’t care. The train did reach speeds of 200kms at tomes and I thought that was pretty cool.

We did get into Hamburg on time and when I got off the train it ended up being a pretty busy time as people were everywhere. Could be because it was Sunday and elections for Europe maybe. It was a little bit chilly, but I found the hostel without a problem apart from walking past the entrance. I had to wait an hour before I could checkin and I sat there reading a book as I couldn’t go anywhere since the lockers were all full. I have noticed on the streets that there are plenty of older opeople sleeping rough on the streets, mainly men. Once I was able to get to my room, I found they had chosen the top bunk for me and Generator hostel isn’t like the one in Frankfurt or Berlin. The bathroom has less room and if you were fat then in trouble.
I decided to have an easy afternoon, but unsure what I would be doing. I thought walking to the Maritime museum would be fun, but I found another museum instead. The local asrts museum or as they call it here, Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg. Sounds like we are swearing but not. I managed to spend several hours here as it was late afternoon by this time. I found where the main bus shelter in the city was too. I am close to everything you could want. The museum had many contemporary arts things from bronze age pottery to samurai swords that were part of the collection. They were divided into religions and included Christianity, Muslim and even Jewish art. Apparently two ton of silver remained after the war and the owners were being hunted down. One ton of silver was left. It wasn’t really my thing and some of the displays had English translations. I learnt there was a section where the museum researched the background to the various artworks to make sure they were allowed to hold onto them. The Nazi’s did grab what they could and any proceeds went into the government coffers. That is what happened to one such inheritance as the family were Jewish. The museum went over many of the other forms of art and while it was interesting, I was happy to have visited.

By this time I was getting hungry and went for a wander, I found a steak house and they had real steak, which I was happy about. They drowned my salad in olive oil, but it was a decent meal and I was happy for that one. I wasn’t sure how I would go about paying for my meal, but found IU stay at my seat and they come to me eventually. I was happy with the medium to mooing steak and it wasn’t very late either, I think I got in before the rush. Tomorrow is another day. By this afternoon I seemed to be feeling loads better, maybe it is because I was not pushing myself, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment