Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Wandering Boots Day 2: Museums galore



By the numbers
2 museums
14.41 kms
19653 steps

I woke up in the early hours of the morning after I had crashed out around 11pm the night before. After a long flight that is a given. The day was going to be another wet day and I woke to the rain. I was unsure if there was going to be a cold snap outside or not, but I was prepared with my jumper and I needed to try out my new brolly. I had a token for one free breakfast.

The breakfast was free coffee and food with the token I was given the night before. It was kinda basic, but pretty filling. I was worried about the pass that I had printed off that could get wet in the weather. I ended up making sure it would be covered in plastic from a folder. I guessed that would protect it from harm. I wanted to head to the train station to make sure I did not need to activate the pass. I did learn that no you don’t, but also you could hop onto everything without scanning the ticket unless inspectors were on board.

The information centre was in the train station and I wandered around in awe. I learnt how easy it would be to catch a train to Berlin, which will be soon. Each diagram matches the train and destination like train 874, carriage and the red dot marks where you are on the platform. The timetables are helpful too. I went for a look to orientate myself and understand the system. Now that I know and can sort out the railway lines on Germany, I can sort that out when I am there next time after this trip. Of course I went wandering like a gobsmacked person looking around the station and it was good to see how everything worked.

Back into the wet weather as I wanted to visit the Natural History museum and I wantred the tram that would get me cosest to it. On the way I did get distracted by some park as there was a little buit of water, but they do make some interesting arty farrtty entrances to the Ubahn stations, which is like the underground tube stations that run through London. The public transport seems to be really good here. I am thankful that I have a travel sim as I would never have moved around the city without any problems or know where I am. As I got closer to the museum, I wondered if I would know it when I seen it, but I did not need to wonder when its a lovely old building with dinosaurs out the front. Across the road is a TRex and outside the museum is a diplodocus. Kids had the same idea as I did to visit as well. The Frankfurt card gave me a 50% discount and in I went.

A website last year that secured my visit to Frankfurt was about the dinosaur museums sand mentioned a Stegosaurus. Even though the original is elsewhere, I got to see the cast. Though never fear, they had plenty of skeletons that were originals especially the water creatures of the past. There are fossil fields in Germany that are very rich in findings and a UNESCO heritage area called Essen I think it is that the findings of many different animals and plants from the time of the Gondwana type land masses. I do like how the displays were a mix of English and German. They also tell you the basics of the animals and where the original is located. There were heaps of children chattering away and ?I had to tolerate them, but they did make a bit of noise. The natural world part had animals we know today and even a display on Lucy, but unsure if these were casts or not. Lucy was found in the 1960s and was an early man of sorts. I came across a scientist lab of sorts that had brains in jars, breeding anatomy including penis’ in jars. I used Google translate on them and was going uh huh. I came across a display of Archaeopteryx, feathered birds of the dinosaur age. They had the 11th one that was found and is being loaned from a private collection. It shows the feathers around the bird and nearby shows casts of the others, which are kept in London and Berlin. The First is in London and was found in the 1800s. I am glad that I came along.

The next museum on the list was the cartoon museum, but I was distracted by the university grounds and wearing a UNE jumper I might have fit right into the area.. I decided to look at the botanic gardens as they are usually free to visit and I thought I could quickly use the loo there. I found a map outside of the Frankfurt area that I am currently in and included a guard tower called the Bockenheimer Warte. It was part of the defences from around the 1400s. I was torn about seeing that or the botanic gardens as it was lunch time and I was getting hungry. The botanic gardens would cost me to walk inside and they had turn styles that anchored my doubts to visit. I wanted the other museum anyway so turned around to head to the guard tower. Along the way I came across some street art, but wanted a closer look by going through the ubahn area I found myself in a huge pedestrian area before you get down to the trains. I poped out the end I wanted and found the street art to be the station entrance. It looked like a train carriage had started to come through the street level. I found something to eat, but was unsure what the bread thing was apart from it was a bakery item and food.

A closer look at Bockenheimer Warte meant I walked a little further up the road and got stopped by some guy who I wasn’t sure what he was doing until he told me he was a political party guy. A uni student and since I couldn’t vote I was free to go with a high five. He did ask if I wanted to move to Germany though. Nice guy even if it was still a mystery, but he spoke English. I had a quick look at a warehouse building outside, but cannot remember the name or if it was a theatre building. I went down to the Ubahn station at Bockenheimer Warte and wanted to get out at another one. It was fast and spoke English and German too. I popped out at the Konstablerwache station and it looked like a shopping area. Sistracted again I followed my map and seen the museum of arts and then a church that I had a look at before finding a clown outside a building. I was near an archaeology dig for the archaeology museum showing roman ruins and a palace that had something to do with Charlemagne  who was a king in the early 800s area. I made a video of the walk through and headed to the Town Hall and was stunned by the beauty there as it was pretty painted houses and the town hall. I wandered through and past the history museum heading to the cartoon museum that I found was closed.

Turning around I made my way to the history museum where the guy seemed to be annoyed I had the pass that gives me 50% off. I stopped for coffee and went into the museum, Frankfurt has had interesting times being the centre of banking including after the war where the Americans set up banks. At first I thought I would be stuck with german written displays until I found they also had English. The city was bombed heavily during World War 2 and there were attempts during the clean up to repurpose the rubble which is a good idea. There were stories about several people like Margot Frank, sister to Anne Frank and what happened to them and several other people including one boy who was part of the Hitler Youth, but defied some of what they were doing like growing his hair long. The old town area, which is the town hall was heavily bombed and there has been many debates including knocking the remains down. Though they have rebuilt and have been many protests in Frankfurt’s history including the expansion of Frankfurt airport. A small town was built in the woods by protestors, but that didn’t stop the expansion. I was impressed by a display that was spinning slowly as you were reading the information so you would exit elsewhere on the same floor just facing a different direction. I found that kings and queens had been crowned in the city too. One of the last displays I looked at was a huge diorama of the city. I kept on kicking the table by accident, but I was not the only person to do so. We all got looks and should watch where we are walking. The toll tower was the last area that I went to look in and it was an actual old toll tower. It was where the people in authority would collect money from crossing the nearby bridge and funnily enough used as a clock tower to, so it could warn people of events like invasion, the time and during executions.

I thought about going for a longer walk, but realised it was getting late and I could get food at the hostel like a pizza. I didn’t want to be near the streets in the dark even though nothing would happen. Instead of catching the very regular public transport, I walked back into the hostel area. I found the banking district was interesting, but I had my goal of returning to the room before dark. I followed my handy online map that showed me that I was getting closer. Once I was in the hostel I had to buzz the door. How to get in is to buzz the front door for entry and then you show your card with room number on it so you can then use your card to enter your room. The key card runs out at 12pm on the day you leave. Considering the area and that the reception is 24 hours, thats what I call good. I ended up having two beers with my pizza and that hit me like a mule a touch. I ended up going to bed not long after I started writing my blog at 8pm. I thought an hour sleep would be good, but I turned my alarm off and slept until around 4am where I decided now was the time to finish my blog. Maybe not in my room though as the keyboard kinda annoyed one girl, but polite not to tell me to f off.

No comments:

Post a Comment