Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Wandering boots tour: Day 10 Hamburg to Copenhagen




The day started off alright, although i did think I couldn’t find my wallet as it wasn’t in my trousers. I soon found it in the locker within one of my bags. I needed to get things done before I left onto my next destination, which was Copenhagen.

Once I sorted out my bags properly and thought it would be a good idea to use a chair as leverage to hoist the bag onto my back, which didn’t work. I just fell over like a bloated whale. I didn’t go down far so wasn’t hurt at all. I found the station alright and seen that there were only two carriages, which would be why there was a high demand in the booking. It turns out the train was going to be late, but without warning the platform changed from 8 to 7. I only noticed as I had looked in that direction and when the train did arrive the carriage numbers did not correspond with the ones on the ticket. No one else knew what was going on. I needed carriage 82, but it was now 72. When I eventually found my seat there was some girl sitting there and I let her know that was my seat, but I was happy to sit in the aisle seat. It became funny when the guy with the other seat wanted his and he would not budge when the girls told him there was another seat elsewhere. Since it was a 4 seater area, the 4th guy was laughing when the girls had to move on. They were angry they had to move, but I did get my window seat again. The reason for the train change was trains in Germany are not allowed to travel without a working radio. That was why there was a major change that confused people.

I had been worried the bus service after getting off the ferry wouldn’t wait and I was told it would as it was part of the train service. The reason for the bus was that Denmark was doing some rail repairs or building of their own. I wanted to jump onto the ferry, which we did and there wasn’t much apart from a train going onto the ferry. I wasn’t sure if we were making time or losing it, but it was interesting to get onto the ferry. We had to leave and then get back on later before the ferry docked. I did get some food when I was on the ferry and going outside was a little brisk. It was like a normal ferry ride in New Zealand, but without the bigger ferry. The crossing was something like 40 mins, which wasnt long. Once we were off the ferry, the train rolled off into the Rodby station, where we had to depart. On the way to the bus we had to have our passports checked by immigration, which was different. The check didn’t take long and I just placed my bag onto the bus and there were only two seats left and I just took one by jumping onto the bus and making myself at home. It took around 2 hours to get to Copenhagen and when I looked at the time I was mneant to arrive there was around 10 or so minutes past the arrival time.

I found the hostel without a problem and had to be buzzed in and then buzzed into another door. It was secure and there are residents in the area too who live there. Its a nice area next door to the train station. The room has three levels to each bunk, which is weird and then there are covers to make your bed private, which is pretty cool. I told the guy that I had a ticket for the music festival, which is called Distortion as they have street parties. That could mean it would take too long to get around, so a ticket means I can go through to save time. I was able to get that sorted out and also wander the train station trying to figure out the timetables and I was completely lost. I did talk to the girl in the hostel later on and she made sense of the train I would be catching the next day. I took a wander through Copenhagen to see what I could see. It was getting chilly as I had left my jumper behind as it had gotten a bit hot, which must have been due to the hostel. Who knows. I did hunt down the Lego shop that I had promised I would do and it was an actual toy store that had stuff I had not seen in some time and expensive Lego. I turned around and found some food before heading back to the hostel. I didn’t know how to get back in, but I got lucky as the front door was closing and then a kid opened up the second door for me. The last door I had the girl in the hostel open and then explain the fob part. I would have tried to type in the code.

I had a shower and went back out to have a look at one of the distortion festivals before it got dark. It was in the grounds of the royal library and when I arrived it wasn’t what I expected. I don’t know what I expected, but I spent half hour listening to the music before I moved on as I was getting cold. I did end up finding the National Archives as it was in the same complex and the library itself looked pretty. I had come across the fine arts museum that had different sculptures all the way around. I really wanted to get back as I have an early start with catching a train to Malmo that is located in Sweden. Hopefully the weather holds up as I have heard it will be wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment