Wednesday, April 17, 2024

New Zealand Express: Day 3 Wandering Whangarei



By the numbers

19,124 steps

15.68 kms

 

I decided that today I would take a wander to the hospital to visit my grandfather as it was a fair distance, but a nice want anyway. I did have a good sleep at the house and woke up after sleeping in, although did I really since I would be using Australian time to compare to NZ time. It was a good rest anyway, and one I probably needed. The day itself looked like it would be nice enough for me to take a long walk.

 

My walk would begin from the Whangarei waterfall that is nearby and I wanted to do this as I don’t know if there would be many more opportunities of doing so in the future, and unsure if I would be returning to visit in the future either. For a weekday and I guess school holidays it was actually busy around the waterfall with people around. I had left closer to midday instead of earlier, which in hindsight, I probably should have. Still I headed towards Whangarei CBD and passed people along the way with music in my headphones. It turned out to be a nicer day than I had thought and I was going at my own pace following the river into town.

 

It wasn’t long before I found my way into the town basin where the Hunderweiser museum is located. I did visit the bookshop there and they didn’t have much of a collection there. I found some fudge at the Fudge shop, and the glassblowers were not blowing as they were doing maintenance. I wanted to see glass blowing. I ended up at the shops wandering through two bookshops knowing I couldn’t bring books home just yet as I would have other things in my bag. I did get myself lost, but not really as I found a railway bridge, but it was the wrong one. I was after the other one on Water street, but I was in the general area since I found the library and that was a waypoint for me. That just meant I needed to walk through the carpark towards the hospital, which I knew where it was.

 

The time was getting cl;ose to 2pm and I was getting hot and hungry. Along the way I stopped off at the Rose garden that is part of the council parks and found not many roses. I am unsure if this is the wrong time of year as I am always not disappointed by the one in Parnell in Auckland. Still I was happy to see it. Within sight of the hospital, I was able to get myself some pies as sandwiches were no longer there as it was getting close to closing time it seems. With a drink I was able to make my way up to the right room. On the way out after the visit it seems that it had been raining, so I was lucky to be inside while it was wet. I should say I bought chocolate fish and ate them too. They are a New Zealand thing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment