Monday, January 23, 2023

Going West Tour: Day 9 Indian Pacific day 2


By the numbers

1 train

By the time I woke up and I will say it was a pretty decent sleep on a narrow bed, I soon found that we were now on the Nullarbor plain as there was little shrubby type things and really flat. My phone told me there was no service at all for data. Im still using my phone as its a camera. The day before a passenger was a little upset that I was using my phone thinking I had signal, when I didn’t. She had no service signal from any provider. I was nice to explain to her. Breakfast consisted of a big breakfast that was brunch too for reasons of us hitting a new time zone when crossing to South Australia. Without the phone networks, we had to change the times on the phones manually and then wait for the network once we were closer to Adelaide. I had poached eggs with baked beans, bacon and a snag. I don’t usually eat poached eggs and don’t know how to make them myself, but I am happy to eat them that way.. The second coarse was Toasted Brioche with lemon curd.

 

We stopped to drop stuff off at Forrest, which is in the middle of nowhere. They had an airfield and a lady asked why they needed one. I responded the Royal flying doctors as a good example as there are no doctors on site. Turns out to be more to it due to an announcement. They could in an emergency land a 747 there. Though the place consisted of a B&B that was around $300 a night and if you want a shower its an extra $25 as water is so hard to get. It was another couple of hours to Cook and that is just where the trains go through to fill up on fuel and water. There are also bunks for drivers to have a sleep. It was once a thriving town, but has a handful of people now. I was able to walk out there and I doubt it was the 29C that they said it was. It felt hotter. I found I was in the middle of nowhere and also got a pic with the train, although I think I worried the tourists when I asked about snakes and then mentioned hoop snakes and drop bears. As all great Australians do. They had a working payphone and I checked it out. Though I do wonder if I should have made a call. They made a siren call to say we should board and I didn’t hear any whistles though.

 

I had an Adelaide Apple cider once I got back on board and then really felt like a shower as that heat in the middle of nowhere made me feel sticky. It was around 530ish that we left the Nullabor and entered the town or area of Allday. Famous for a lady who had stuff to do with preserving Aboriginal way of like and being wife of Breaker Morant. It has been nice sitting on the train with phone signal cutting in and out. Somewhere we will get the data back and we shall see what happens then. I think I will arrive in Adelaide properly refreshed and hopefully wide awake with my early start in the morning.

 

Everyone were doing their own thing and once the dinner service started people were wanting their dinner, I ended up having an entree with Sweet glazed peking duck breast, a main course of braised lamb shank, then a dessert of a chocolate Praline  mousse Gateau. We still didnt have any reception apart from the phone cutting in and out. I wasn’t worried as I had a book to read and that kept me happy. I soon figured out after trying to make videos between the blinds that the blinds actually wound all the way up, so I didn’t have to every so often go between carriages to take videos. By then it was getting dark, but it was funny seeing discarded rail on the side and then every now and then a carbody would appear or even railway sleepers.

No comments:

Post a Comment