Thursday, January 19, 2023

Going West Tour: Day 5. Perth with a side quest


 

By the numbers

25,011

18.94 kms

 

The day that I was meant to leave for Perth city had arrived. I didn’t quite know what I was going to do before I had to be at the hotel. First I decided that I would go get some breakfast as that would tie me down until I required something else. With the time difference my body clock would be screaming at me to eat something at least. One place I walked in wasn’t open for another half hour, but the 7/11 was well and truly open for food and coffee. Though I did have to be shown, which bowser was the coffee. Some random guy at the hostel started talking to me and it was funny as I recognised his Panthers shirt, and he did say yes when I asked if he was from Sydney. Didnt ask if he was from the riff, or I should say Penrith. No one else recognised the shirt so he must have been happy. I did ask him if he was pleased to see an AFL stadium down the road, but he didn’t rise for the bait.

 

Once I had eaten, I checked out online as I was worried if I did earlier it would mean my card would stop working. I had some ladies following me to the train station, but I actually beat them there by a couple of minutes as I was powering in front and knew where to cross. I had a side quest to go one before I entered Perth as I was going to get off the train part way at Karrakatta for the cemetery. I headed into the cafe with my bags and ordered a coffee. I wanted to do the cemetery tour, but I had my bags so I wasn’t sure if the admin office would look after them for me. I actually got a map of the two heritage trails while I was there and then wouldn’t need to consult my phone when I was looking around. The lady at reception had to go ask her boss as she was unsure. The answer was a no, so I had to take my bags on a journey around the cemetery. The funny thing about the cemetery is that it is the largest in Western Australia. Looking at the booklet I found which trail had John Curtin on it and took a walk in the general direction as I knew like the other cemeteries I been to in WA that they would be sign posted. John Curtin’s was and turns out both he and his wife were historians. That was something I never knew about even though he was an ex prime minister. There were a few state premiers that I came across as well. I think I was at the cemetery for well over an hour before deciding that it was getting far too hot out there with two bags on me, so thought it might be best to get to Perth. While the bags were not as heavy as they tend to be, I was still wandering a cemetery with travel bags.

 

I was around 5 stops from Perth and arrived there early enough that I had to wait around for another hour with my bags before checking in. On a whim I decided to just call and see if I could. The guy was really happy that I was early especially when others said they would be early, but arrive 4 hours later. I needed codes to get in through two doors and I had a key for my door on the first floor, so I didnt think it was too bad. I had a bed until I left by train on Sunday and would get rest. Once I dropped off my bag, I had to head off to the Perth Mint to sort out an issue with double booking myself into two locations at the same time. The footpath was really steaming as my feet felt like they were walking through rising heat burning my shoes. I asked nicely and they were able to change my appointment so I could go there in the early afternoon for the tour, which I was happy about. The plan was after I looked at my map to visit the East Perth cemetery, but I ran out of steam once I entered the Queens Park near the WA cricket grounds. I sat in the shade for 20 mins realising it was now 33 outside and I had bitten off more than I could chew as I felt it was too hot. I thought it best to catch the trains to my destination of East Perth station instead of walking as the sun was hotter than I thought.

 

It took around 10 mins from where I was to walk to the train station as I knew if it had been 40+ I would have been in real trouble. It felt great being in the air con and then off the train to see where the Indian Pacific check in actually was location. I wanted to get this done ahead of time so I wouldn’t be lost. Then again I seen information about the WA prospector train that takes you out to Kalgoorlie. That might be a journey one day, but not if its going to be super hot in the middle of nowhere. I did contemplate walking back to the hostel, but I caught the train back into the CBD. I wanted to hunt down the location of the computer game museum and then go from there. I had a bite to eat first as I had gotten pretty hungry. I found the museum and then the WA museum in the heritage precinct. Nearby was one of the original grape vines that had been planted in the area and being looked after by the museum. Nearby was the state archives, which I was surprised to see. I was trying to stay out of the sun as much as I could. It was late afternoon and I decided that I should head back to my room for a shower as it had been a pretty long day and got plenty done.

 

They are predicting that the next two days are going to be in the high 30s, so that might actually limit what I want to do outside. At least tomorrow I have plans that will involve tours that are inside. You never know what the day will being though as it might not be that hot. I would say I have been really lucky so far

No comments:

Post a Comment