Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Going West Tour Day 3: Rottnest Island



By the numbers

23,085 steps

17.44kms

 

It was another early start as I was up well before my alarm and wondering if I was a little unwell as I was feeling cold I was thinking that would be the last thing I needed to happen. I thought since I am wide awake, I may as well get ready to go as I was getting breakfast at IGA. I heard from people nearby that they were cold and I was happy it wasn’t me. I ended up in the back streets of Fremantle around a shopping arcade area that I never knew was there. I found some shops that could be of interest including food, but I think I might end up at IGA again as they have hot food.

 

Having to check my phone to make sure I was on time for the ferry and making sure I was heading in the right direction on the map. The ferry did leave on time and it was actually around half an hour to the island. I was happy to read a book while on the ferry ride and they gave out water ice blocks, which I was happy to have. Once we made landfall on Rottnest Island, myself and everyone else on ferries were departing with the same idea. I did not actually have a plan for the day as I had thought about getting the train to the fortifications and then wander to the lighthouse. That plan didn’t work out as I soon found out. It was easier for me to get a day pass with the bus and visit the lighthouse and then the Oliver Hill Battery. That way I could walk back to the lighthouse and catch the bus again. That sounded like a great idea. I was able to get tickets and the lady did let me know that some parts of the island you cannot get food or water. That was a great warning and outside of the towns it would be tough.

 

Heading up into the village, I was soon overwhelmed and lost as it was chaotic with people. I had no idea where the bus’ would be leaving. There wasn’t just 50 or so people there was like several hundred all eating, wandering along with push bikes of all ages going in all directions. Even the bakery was full. I nearly managed to walk over the top of a Quokka. I visited the bakery for an obligatory fingerbun that I had found at the bakery while being crushed by the hordes in there. I had to walk back to the information centre to get my bearing as they were literally shot from the mass of humanity. I soon found paintings on the road directing you towards the bus or even the train.. Then the bus was easy to find. They apparently left every 15 mins and was told don’t be surprised if you end up standing at certain stops along the way. I had a map of the stops and the trails, so I hoped they were helpful. It soon became apparent that the button on the bus was not working and it was lucky someone else wanted to get off at the lighthouse too. We had passed Salmon Bay that was an ideal morning swimming place.

 

The lighthouse had a tour that would run on the hour and while I thought it would be great, it would cost me $15. I wanted to take a walk elsewhere to explore the walking trails, although I was being pestered by one fly that knew how to annoy. Around the lighthouse were training facilities and observation points that were from World War 2 and helped with the gun batteries. Another reason for not doing the lighthouse was stairs, and I was starting to feel sore. Walking on a track that took me towards Oliver Hill, proved I never got away from the flies as they were waiting on the sand for me. They mobbed me for a little bit, but one was constantly around me at all times. It took around half an hour for me to walk to Oliver Hill, where I got to see a historic gun. Not only did I get there before the tour started, I even was passed by the train at the same time. I had time to ask the guide about the next leg of my walking trail and she wasn’t too sure about where it actually started.

 

I did pay $15 to do this tour as I think it would have been interesting. The gun itself on Oliver Hill as still there as it had been too heavy to move to scrap it, although the other things like pipes and all that had been sold for scrap. That was the only reason the island still had the gun at that location today as there was nothing on the island that could move it. It had been placed in the location around 1938 I think it was. The tour took us down in the tunnels like to the magazine storage and where they had the cordite. The cordite was explosive and any spark could set them off, so anything metal had to be taken off and dressed in something that wouldn’t create a spark. Further down was the engine room deep down a ramp with the occasional stairs. We were going through where the pipes would have run through. Luckily we did not have to walk up the narrow passages to return as there was a tunnel leading outside. That was where they pumped the diesel for the engines. Before anyone had thought about the heritage of the area, people could wander in and out through buildings before they were closed off as being dangerous. There was also dead Quokkas back then including ones that fell into the air vents. The last thing we seen was the gun. It had two people operating it to adjust it for targeting and was never fired in anger. It had a pretty impressive range as it could fire into Fremantle if it wanted. Something like 20kms it could fire. Nearby had been anti aircraft weaponry along with barbed wire fences that would delay an invasion. Also the conservation team kept an eye on the concrete making repairs when needed and closing off other tunnels, so they were making sure it was safe.

 

Afterwards I discussed with the guide as to where I had to go as she hadn’t followed the track before. I thought it best to walk back to Salmon Bay. I had to cross the rail line along the way and the signal hut that was part of the Oliver Hill complex. I nearly jumped out of my skin along the walk as I seen a shadow by my head and I thought it was a huge spider of some sort. Nope it was actually a bunch of friendly little swallows following me. The trail took me to the road and then onto the direction of Salmon Bay, where I would meet the bus. I ended up walking along the beach, while it was great, I wasn’t taking my boots off. Amongst patches of dead seaweed, I would sink to my ankles in the sand. Once I found the bus stop, which was easy as there were plenty of people sunbathing in the area. I was happy to sit down. The bus was full and for several stops had to stand. It was around an hour around the island on the bus. People would get on and off. At the end I was happy to get off the bus and found I was pretty sore.

 

The last couple of hours on the island meant I found the Quad that had been built by Indigenous people to serve as a prison, but it was closed so I couldn’t see much of it. I found the cemetery, which had no headstone inscriptions and the nearby Vlamingh Lookout, which was to do with where the Dutch explorer had made landfall or left a marker in the 1600s. I eventually found where I could refill my water bottle as I was nearly empty. There were still Quokkas around and some were sleeping and others doing their own thing right in the middle of the town. My legs were sore and so were my arms for some strange reason. It was close to when I had to get on the ferry and it was right at the very end of the jetty. The ride back was pretty rough and we were bouncing around. I still read my kindle without any issue. The ferry had been pretty full, although once I got off I watched a containership leave Fremantle. Since it was only 430pm, I thought it would be best to call it a day as I had been outside all day and needed the rest with something from the IGA. I think dinners from there are worth it as its around $10 a meal, which filled out up.

No comments:

Post a Comment