Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Middle Earth Tour Day 13: Snow bunnies with Chateau Tongariro

Middle Earth Tour Day 13: Snow bunnies with Chateau Tongariro


Today I was not sure how I wanted to start my day as I had wanted to do several things and one of them was to be dropped at the ski lifts and walk down to the village where Chateau Tongariro was located and go from there. All night I had heard on and off that the weather was pretty awful outside with the driving rain. Another plan that I did have was to visit a Redoubt built by Te Kooti as part of the New Zealand Wars. Looking out the weather was still really cloudy and in parts there was fog too close to the road. I wasn’t too happy that I might not get to where I wanted to especially relying on others.

After I had some breakfast I think I became a pain in the butt with the hosts of the hostel. I knew the bus service was not going to be running and I had resigned to spending a long day at the hostel reading and doing other stuff while being bored like hell as the town is not very big at all in size and I could just watch the rain fall. I was talking to the people at the desk saying that I would like to go out to Whakapapa village and see Chateau Tongariro. I also would have loved to visit the Redoubt although they were very long walks if I did so. I was thinking I could stay elsewhere in the future to look at getting a push bike just for the trip. There was no way I was getting up to the ski lifts due to the weather. If I went out to the Redoubt then the driver would have to wait for me and I didn’t like to make people do that as I wanted to take my time even though it was supposedly 20 mins up the road. I chose one place and said that I will be picked up around 130pm as I was leaving close to 10am.

It was up to me when we left so I had quickly gotten my gear together, which included wet weather gear and also put on a thermal that I thought I would need. The ride was wet and longer than I thought it would be even though I was in the back seat of the van. Although it wasn’t raining when we were close to Whakapapa village. When we entered the town I got my first view of Chateau Tongariro and something else that was unexpected that I had never been close to before. That was snow and there was a little bit on the ground. Once I was let out of the van I walked to the golf coarse to take pictures of the Chateau. The green was really snowy so I don’t think anyone could have putted anything into the hole without losing the ball. I scraped some snow off a rock and ate it. Really nothing like trying to eat a chunk of glacier as that was gritty and crunchy. No idea if eating that stuff is good for your health at all, but I was doing something different. I did wonder if licking a post would mean my tongue gets stuck due to it being cold. I did try later on though it never did. I found mistletoe next to the chateau and I was happy to find the native stuff even though it was sign posted for me.

The next place I headed to from there was the information centre where it was also DOCs where you can get travel information about the area. The town of Whakapapa was created in the 1920s primarily for the skiing and in 1929 Chateau Tongariro was built turning the area into a tourist destination. The area is also known as a dual heritage area and the first national park created in New Zealand and fourth in the world. The information centre has explanations about the volcanic area and videos about the volcanos along with the other natural environment. There was some things for sale that I had encountered including a book I knew to be unavailable until two days time. They had wanted to sell the book before the official launch though I wasn’t going to knock that as I really wanted the book for my collection. I did take a step back from some of the clothing that was a touch expensive. I was looking at some of the sort walks to take and then outside as I had noticed before it had started raining except the rain was not that, but snow. It was actually falling pretty heavy and I had leave part way through wondering if I really should take a walk on any of the tracks where I could get a bit wet. I had been given the business car to call the hostel if I wanted to be picked up later or earlier. There was a story about the short tailed bat that lives in New Zealand and how they can crawl on the ground after prey like the Weta.

I headed out into the snow with my rain coat on and the brolly up though I wanted pictures of the chateau  in the snow before it either melted or people walked onto the snow. The snow was getting everywhere and i even got some on my camera lense. I was looking at my phone although it kept saying it was 20 degrees and sunny in the middle of the snow. I still don’t get that even when I get the temps at home. The Chateau I walked up the drive to have a look in and see what was there. I left my snow covered brolly outside hoping no one would steal it and entered a world of interesting stuff. The reception area had a shop where I bought a book and shirt to say I have been there. When purchasing my stuff I asked if it was alright if I go inside and take photos, I was told by the lady that I am quite alright to do so. I started thinking coffee once I had walked in and ordered one. I had to have a muffin while I was there to look the part. There were chandeliers hanging from the roof and porters floating around keeping an eye on what was going on. I got my long black and muffin while someone was playing the piano. The snow had stopped once I had finished my break though I think it was actually a pretty easy day.

Once I was out again the snow had actually melted and I was making sure I did not fall over in the slick wetness that had followed. I walked to where some of the paths were although they were the ones that took several hours to walk. I spotted some motorcycles just sitting in the snow and I would hate to try for a ride in that as I am guessing its not the weather you want to ride in or be on the road. Once I walked up past the visitors centre the clouds from below the chateau were getting dark though I was hoping not to get wet. The town of Whapakaka was not big at all though I was keeping an eye on some people who were throwing snow balls in case they aimed for me. I started walking down the start of several paths though I am wondering if I should stay nearby or in Whapakaka next time so I can do some of the local walks especially when it is nice. I ended up at the Bruce road, but it said there were chains needed or fourwheel drives for the road up. I made it onto the bridge and knew I had to turn back as the rain had started and I was running out of time to be picked up. I made it back to Ferguson’s cafe where I had a drink while the rain turned into snow yet again. I wandered down to the Chateau where I was going to be picked up while crunching my way through the snow. I had found a bit of water after the first lot of snow especially with i running down the hill. I would hate to know how much would be on the tracks as then my boots would be sopping wet.

The lady at the hostel asked if I went on any of the tracks and I said I had only gone on several at the start though I was too busy taking photos of the snow. I was the only one who had gone out and was picked up though I was happy to pay the $30 to go out. Sure it would be for the fuel, but they were taking time out to ferry me to another place especially one that was seen as sacred to the maori and why it became a national park in the first place. I don’t think I would ever have the guts to take a 5 to 6 day walk around the base, but several hour walks sound good for me and maybe I should research into that though the only thing I didn’t plan for was the weather, but now I have been in and seen snow. The rest of the day I stayed indoors as I had been out in the cold for long enough and didn’t want to make things worse for my lungs. I did feel at the walking tracks that I am inexperienced with this sort of weather as I had poked holes into the water that I had known was in the gutter only to find there was now ice forming over the top. I don’t have the knowledge about walking wet paths that has snow and then ends up being water. I don’t know how slippery it is either especially if people are looking for me. I should look into other alternatives especially in regards to a bike in other towns as there always seems to be stuff I like to see nearby.

Tomorrow I am leaving for Otorohanga where I will be staying in a local caravan park and have an opening to the Waitomo caves where I can see the glow worms. I am dedicating a full day to the caves so I can explore the town if I am able to so I will have two full days in Otorohanga instead of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment