Thursday, November 6, 2014

Middle Earth Day 7 Mystery free wifi and the army museum



Middle Earth Day 7 Mystery free wifi and the army museum

The first full day in Waiouru and all I was going to do for the full day was spend my time in the museum or so I thought the plan would be. I did think that it would be a cold day again. Looking outside I could see heavy rain falling other wise called snow. I was in a hurry to get my boots put on so that I could stand out in the snow on my way to the museum. Sadly the snow was normal rain by the time I had exited the building. The housekeeper thought there would be more but you never know.

I was taking my time in leaving the room and heading towards the museum though on the way I had grabbed a pie from the local bakery across the road from the museum. I was going to go through and then do some research. The website says the average visitor takes 1.5 hours to go through and if you want to see near everything then it takes alot longer than that. The museum starts with the New Zealand wars and then off to the peacekeeping. I was impressed they included the Musket Wars that I had read about though not finished the book yet. Unlike the Auckland museum there is only a mention of Rhuapekepeka Pa. When I moved to the Boar War exhibit what I thought was being overtaken by a small group of new recruits with a tour guide though I later found they were not. They had been ordered by the courts or through other agencies to do a thing with the army. No one knew who the ladies were that were monitoring them. I did see some other uniforms around who were looking at the displays. Apparently the word digger came from the kiwi miners and well before the Australians were called them. No idea if they were playing that game like with the origins of the pavlova. They do look at Gallipoli of course and where the kiwis fought. It was weird not seeing Australia being mentioned fuly with the attack and just a shrug like with The Nek or Lone Pine. The other exhibits were just as interesting including a New Zealand cartoonist getting an execution order from Hitler no let if they won the war.

I think I exhausted my brain when I spent at least 3 hours in the museum looking at the displays and the medals. It was interesting to say the least, but I was wanting a toilet and lunch. While having lunch I looked at my phone and somehow connected to a mysterious wifi signal. I wasn’t complaining just that I had no idea where it came from. I knew it was not from the data as my data is turned off unless connected to wifi. Another oddity is my phone keeps telling me it is 20C and sunny when its freezing and raining. I have never seen it give the temp other than that before. I went to the library and found there were two extra books I was looking for about religious objectors during WW1 in NZ. I did get a little bit more information including how on objector was sent overseas and still refused to work or do anything in a uniform. So was dragged through the camp by a MP and thrown into a shell hole full of water. He was later found to be very ill and treated. People were wanting to have him back in uniform though he was diagnosed as being unfit for duty. There were other stories around and I do want to get a book that I had looked at. When I went to go I was discussing with the office lady that my bus wont be coming til late tomorrow and that there is not much that I can do. I was offered  to come back and do some more research while I wait with my bags in the room. I think I will do that as I have to be out by 10am of my room.  I was told where to go eat too as a local cafe has decent steaks along with pizzas. If it does snow the road may become closed on the Desert highway, but they are really good at clearing the road. Good to know since I don’t leave until the afternoon.

Once I left I was able to take a quick walk through town though I was wondering how far I could walk. I got as far as the army base entrance road and stopped as I didn’t want to get wet from the puddles from the trucks plus no footpaths either. Still once I had a shower and was ready for tea I seen tha the clouds had parted a little to show the mountains and the snow nearby. I was happy to get tht sight and it was wonderful, well glorious. Then I went to have a huge steak that I had for dinner it took one plate and the vegies on another. I finished the steak too. You have t always listen to the locals as they have the knowledge about where to go.
Tomorrow I don’t get to Fielding until around 6pm and hope that it will be a quick journey as it will be a short stop at Bulls along the way. I wont have time to sight see before dark, but I will have a full day the next day to get things sorted. I think I have people surprised about my travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment