Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sydney 2014 Day 7



Sydney 2014 Day 7

Today was the day that I was going to leave Sydney for home and I had left the trip home until late afternoon as I didn’t want to be rushed off my feet. Several days before the thought had crossed my mind to go looking around the city to see what was happening during Australia Day. I soon came to the conclusion that it might not be the best idea as traffic could be backed up within the city and I might not get back to grab my bags and then be off. So it had been decided that I take it very easy and spend some time at the house.

During my resting period before heading to the airport I went out with Margie for coffee and showed her Margaret Olley’s house as she had not seen the house before while she was taking the dog, Lucy for a walk. We both sorted out some family history research issues we both had including about the changes of the county borders in the UK. I found it to be incredibly relaxing just to have no worries other than catching a bus and then a train to the airport. I wasn’t in too much of a hurry as the coffee and the company was good since it is always good to catch up with friends who you have not seen in person for a while other than online.

Both the bus and the train were very easy to catch as I did not have to wait very long at all. The travel to Central was very easy, but I did hear that closer to the CBD streets had been blocked off. When I did arrive to check in my bag the lady at the counter told me I was early and to come back in 40 mins as everything would be ready then. She gave me the gate number and I went to the cafĂ© for a coffee and a pie. I returned once the time had passed and proceeded to the gate as the number I had been provided was different to the screen. I wanted to make doubly sure this was actually correct and appeared at the new number. The computer was correct, so I went for a wander until it was nearly time to leave. I was starting to become a little anxious that no one had appeared from the airline to get people to board the plane. The pilot did turn up and had to see a lady about letting him onto the plane several gates away. It wasn’t until the time we were supposed to board that the check in people turned up and announced the gate change to the one people had been standing at. Apparently there had been a fault with the other aircraft so they were using this one. The computer system seemed to know well beforehand that something was wrong, but at least I did get onto my flight.

The flight was very uneventful and I landed at Coolangatta airport. The strangest part was the fact I landed in the domestic area as nearly all my flights in the past required me to go through customs and arrivals at the other end of the airport. Domestic arrivals did feel like a treat as it was so quick and my bag came through very quickly and not having to wait for ages. The end of my trip means I have to go back to work and do other things especially make sure if my bike starts up before I head to work on a public holiday. I did have family tell me that I couldnt have enough light in the day to see everything, when I complained that I had not seen everything on my list. Others were impressed with spending my time chasing everything up in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment