Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sydney 2014 Day 4





I knew today was going to be another nice day in the city of Sydney. Even though I was up early myself, I knew I would have to be on the run though this time my mission was not to explore, but to search for shorts in Bondi Junction and then head to parts unknown afterwards.

The search for a pair of shorts didn’t go as planned especially since I had left earlier in the morning just as shops were about to open for the day. My plan was to get in and out within an hour of being in the shopping centre. I did learn Westfield is way out of my price range although Target, Kmart and Myer didn’t have what I was wanting as I do like cargo pants for practical reasons. The only place i could find my shorts was at Lowes an it was well over an hour before I left Bondi to drop my new things off. I wasn’t impressed at all with Myer and never bothered walking into David Jones to see what they had. I am not going to wear designer outfits that are $89 each and that was just the shorts. I would have bought shorts from Kmart if they had their clearance lines in my size, but everything was too big. I think it shows that I do not go clothes shopping very often at all.

Once I got back to the house I put on a pair of my new shorts and caught the bus to Circular Quay as I wanted to get the ferry to Cockatoo island and also visit the information centre there as well. By accident I did find some monuments to women during WWII and something commemorating the First Fleet after I wondered what a park might have that was behind a pub that was the HQ for the Barmy army. I went looking for the ferry to my destination and after finding it I went to the information centre only to be told sorry we are for transport only. That meant I was to head into The Rocks for the information I was after. They did have exactly what I was looking for and I was hungry, but never stopped for food there. Once down at the ferries I did get a pie from the only shop not crowded like Hungry Jacks. I was lucky as well with the ferry since it wasn’t too long a way for the boat as it was headed to Parramatta, but the third stop was Cockatoo island.

The ferry gave an estimated amount of time before they would arrive at the next destination especially as it was one of the newer ferries and not an older one. So long as I had a seat I was happy. Once on the Island we were greeted a volunteer who gave us a talk about where everything was on the island including the best part information and audio tours too. The audio tour cost me $5 and I was happy to have the tour and wander around the island following the map. The tour spoke about a range of subjects from history of the island especially from the convict beginnings including one escape where it was the beginnings of Captain Thunderbolt and a spot near the Dawn Frazer pool is called the white steed or horse after the horse that took him away, becoming a reform school for girls, During World war 2 there area was the main repair base for the American ships including submarine refitting as well. Several of the bollards on the dry dock are actually the originals from the convict times from cannons placed there. There were strike action and people who had to work within at least 50 different awards and any slight move could start a strike of some sort. One of the American navy ships was badly damaged in some obscure battle in the pacific and they had to cruise at 2 knots in reverse so the boat didn’t sink. There were some very angry seagulls on the island too as each time I came close they would scream at me and I did see some baby ones too. I did after my tour have enough time to hand in my audio tour and head off into the ferry that had only just pulled up at the dock.

I made the decision while on the ferry that I wanted to checkout Darling Harbour a little bit while I was still out and had to change ferries since the old Parramatta ferry wasn’t going near that place. Once I had exited the terminal the ticket inspectors pounced and I showed proof that I was running around on a valid ticket with proof of having a concession card. I was cool to go but the other guy who had exited the terminal beside me was not so lucky at all since he never had proof of his concession card. He ‘left’ it at home. Once I got my bearings I was off to Darling Harbour on the slow ferry that went via Luna Park and Balmain. I got off at the museums and went for  little look around the area including the bridge where the monorail was. I headed into the maritime museum where I think it was starting to close, but I was looking at books I wanted to, but thought I better not. I soon ended up in China town as I was heading towards Central station and catching my bus as I was sore and started getting tired from my running around and long day out and about. I needed to get some washing done as well as I would be wearing my last pair of clothes and hope they do dry by morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment