Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sydney 2014 Day 3





Today the plan was to walk from Waverley to Bondi beach and then do some shopping at the Westfield at Bondi Junction. The weather was nice other than being cloudy. My plans usually mean they change at the last second to something that could end up being an epic journey and people might find my trip hard to handle or even follow if they were following me.

I found the right bus to catch to Waverley, but had to remember how to get to the beach walk though most of it would be along the rock cliffs. I did get off at the wrong stop and had to walk a little way, but this was to be expected as I am not familiar with the area. I was actually hunting the cemetery where I was going to wander through and visit Henry Lawson again before heading to Bondi on foot.  The area was a little windy, but I was sure to remain careful when walking near the cliffs as any slip on the rocks might get me hurt or worse. I did notice some signage that indicated to the area with a little bit about either the natural environment or the history to that particular area.
While walking past Bronte beach a big macaw few up to say hello and after several photos he flew off to say hello to several other people. An expensive bird being left to roam is not good though I don’t own the bird so not really my problem. He did come back after I had walked a bit further on and I was talking to him and asked if I could pat him. When I went to give him a scratch he bit my finger when I at first thought he would just mouth me. My finger did hurt a little bit, but I was not angry at the bird for what he had done. A little bit of broken skin, but nothing that would do me any harm at all.

Along the way there were marks telling me how far it was to Bronte Beach or to Bondi Beach, which I noticed along the way unless I was misreading the markers as being something else, but I don’t think I would be wrong. Not that I would know though. There were some nice sights along the way and people were giggling at my shirt that I was wearing since it was one of those ones that had a smart comment. One of the beaches I walked past said it had a wonderland that included elephant rides too. Bondi beach didn’t take too long to walk to though I was more interested in the murals painted on the wall to pay too much attention. The beach was nearly deserted as it was not a hot sunny day, but cloudy.

I ended up on North Bondi and walking up the hill to see what that tower I had seen in all the pictures of Bondi especially with the Bondi vet. Turns out it is part of the Bondi golf course and a water tower to do with Sydney water. The mystery had been solved and I didn’t get hit by golf balls even though I knew of one lot of people who were playing. My trek had taken longer than I had thought especially when I was wondering what that tower thing was. At least there was a bus stop close by that I could use. I needed to head to Bondi Junction where there was a shopping centre to buy several supply things before heading off. I found a Coles with a cafe inside the actual business and it was different as I had never seen anything like that before. Once I bought my stuff I got confused over which side of the road to catch the bus, but the drivers were nice when I asked. I was on the wrong side of the road so waited for the right bus going the right way. I did catch up with Dawn and Margie at a local cafe for lunch and found one of the dogs Dawn looks after called Panda had an accident that meant she broke her leg after a fright.

Once we had lunch I took off to the city again to look for the Tank stream monuments which I found all, but one of. I was thinking about hunting down the information centres, but found the Westfield sky tower had none and that meant I was changing plans to look for a clothes shop. I wanted two pairs of shorts, but there was nothing cheap in Pitt Street unless I could have visited Lowes as the prices are usually reasonable. The whole city CBD area was becoming extremely busy and I didn’t end up finding an info centre, but thought it as best not to wait for a bus and walk to Paddington. It was becoming warm as I was walking at a pace that seemed to suit me. I don’t think it took me too long to end up in Paddington where I was happy to have a shower to cool off and then went out to dinner at one of the local pubs.


No comments:

Post a Comment