Thursday, November 23, 2023

New Zealand 2023: Day 6 Late to Ohakune



By the numbers

1 bus

7.37 kms

9,421 steps

The early hours I was woken up by both the rain and someone who had de4cided they wanted to run their car. I have no idea what the go with that one is, but earlier in the evening the person was constantly going to their car to the point they set the car alarm off. Once my alarm went off I knew what sort of day it would be since I could hear the rain and the fact that I was going to be leaving Palmerston North for Ohakune.

 

The rain had stopped long enough for me to walk to the bus stop where the bus was waiting for me. I was there early enough that I didn’t need to worry. Turns out the bus wont be leaving on time as the driver was waiting for the bus from Napier to arrive and that one was going to be around 15 mins late or so. This mean we were late to every stop we had to make to get other passengers.. I mean I didn’t have anywhere else to be apart from on my seat heading to Ohakune. Most of the way it was raining and there were roadworks for some slips that had occurred sometime ago. By the time we made it to Wanganui, my teeth were floating and pretty much was a pit stop for several other people too. The bus didn’t actually have a toilet unfortunately, I checked and the door didn’t open. The pickup point in Wanganui had changed since I was last in the area. It was a little out of town last time and not near the town centre. There were only two toilets though and a little bit of a wait, though when I realised I thought it was pretty funny. It was drizzling in the town and the rain seemed to be following us up the hill. By the time we arrived in Ohakune, I was around an hour late. The guy beside me didn’t seem to understand I wanted off even though I stood up. He had been sleeping, but still was a touch slow on the uptake. I soon found Ohakune to be a little bit we, but cold.

 

I started to wonder why I had booked a place to stay that was a little bit of a walk, although it was worth it for the name, being Hobbit Motor lodge. Along the way I went past the bike hire shop that I wanted as I needed to talk to them about the bike I wanted to hire and they hadn’t replied to my email. I was wondering how I found out about the motorlodge when I don’t think the bus had gone past last time, or I had seen a sign for it though I do know the bus stopped at the toilets. The people at the accommodation were expecting me and I could feel the chill in the air. I handed the milk back when it was offered to me. The weather was all over the place and I wanted to get out an explore at least one part of Ohakune. Checkout was at 10am on Monday and I had the idea I can wait in the library as the bus doesn’t come til around 1pm. The town seems spread out in parts, but I headed to where I thought there was food. Supermarket didn’t have sandwiches. I visited the bike shop and found they do have my booking and I was good as gold, which made me happy. Even if it wasn’t raining in the morning tomorrow, I would be set for a ride of the old coach road. Though I wouldn’t be going near the last railway spike as it was likely I would be riding on the road.... uphill with cars. The coach road was when they used horses and not modern vehicles. It started raining and then stopped as I got coffee and a pie. I spilt the coffee inside my umbrella, that is how skilled I am, and all over my hands. Not burnt though.

 

Without getting wet, I found the carrot theme park that included a few vegetables like Parsnip, carrot, Swead and a Brussel Sprout. The whole park was all to do with promoting the vegetables grown in Ohakune and surrounding areas. I decided that I had enough of the weather as it kept raining on and off, but the weather report mentioned hail and storms two of which I did not want to get stuck in. I grabbed a quick meal of chicken and chips as I didn’t really know what I wanted to eat, and didn’t want to wait around as some of the restaurants didn’t open until 5pm. I didn’t want to walk to where the train station is either as I might change my mind once I seen the food there. Since I am on the bike going down the track, I will have a look. Making it back to my room, meant I had to turn on the heater as the room was cold. At least I will be warm for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment