Tuesday, November 21, 2023

New Zealand 2023: Day 4: Wandering Palmerston North

 


By the numbers

20.44kms

26,080 steps

 

I was expecting it to rain and I had been warm during the night, so was expecting the rain. I did wakeup to daylight around the curtains, but I thought the weather would be like the forecast and be cold and wet. Turns out there was light cloud and no rain so I was happy for that part. I was pleasantly surprised that where I was staying near the CBD the place I was at happened to be pretty much quiet without much noise at all.

 

My plan for the day was to visit the archives to look at the council minute book and then head out to Kelvin Grove cemetery. I did note that there were a few bus services in the morning and I could have gone out there in the morning instead of the afternoon. I decided to get the library out of the way and then head out by bus once I had finished. After reading 4 years of council minutes skimming the correspondence in to see if I was after the person mentioned, I was more than ready to move on after my brain was fried. I found what I was after and then some so I was happy with what I came across.

 

I walked to the bus stop on the other side of the town square from the library to see when the next bus would come and just as I walked in the bus out to Kelvin Grove was leaving. That was how good my luck was. The next service would be around 40 mins later and I decided I would walk in the direction of the cemetery and walk back. That would be something like an hour long trek one way. Along the way I came across Terrace End cemetery, where I had family and thought now was a good time to update the photos I had of the headstones. The cemetery is one of the earlier cemeteries in the town, which replaced one that was closer as it was too wet. I had the dogs at the Animal rescue barking at me as I was trying to remember where the people were. I found all I was looking for, though I wasn’t going to stay too long as I didn’t want to run out of time. Off I went along the footpath that headed out towards the cemetery I wanted to be at until I came to a halt. The path ran out and finished inside a retirement village, and I wasn’t exactly comfortable walking along the side of the road being a state highway.

 

While I wanted to visit the cemetery, I decided this was something that would be better for another trip and to head out by bus instead. I should have done my research a bit better as I didn’t realise that Palmerston North had its own bus service running around. It has been a while since I was last in the town so I could be forgiven for that one. The alternative plan was actually across the road and that was part of the river walk back to town. It was something like 6kms from the walking / bridle trail. It wasn’t a bush track or anything as it was a concrete path that followed the river and I was planning on walking into the far side of the town and just walk to my accommodation. Looking at my map and the map that I walked past, I started to think that it would be better to exit the trail earlier and head in a direct route. Every now and again I would cross a sign that tells you to keep an eye out for walkers. I thought there would be more information along the way. Getting off the path at Albert street turned out to be a great ideas as I decided there were two local areas I could walk past to update my photos on and that was Milverton Park and Milverton Avenue. It was beginning to become a longer walk than I realised as I was feeling exhausted and I looked at how far I had walked and at that point it had been 17kms. Milverton Park did have an information panel about the history of the area and the man who donated the land to the town. Pretty sure all this was new and hadn’t been there last time I was in the town.

 

There was a plan to return early enough so that I could get some washing done as there was a need for that to be done, and where I was staying had one washing machine and dryer. My luck worked for me as there was no one using either. I decided the rest of the afternoon meant that I would have a rest and sort myself out for my trip to Feilding the next day. Hopefully for more research that is if they got my email, but they are volunteers so I cant be too hard on them. It was a good late afternoon checking on washing and watching shows on my computer that I hadn’t done much of.

No comments:

Post a Comment