Thursday, March 31, 2022

Southern Tour Day 5: Mona



By the numbers

20.97 kms

27,699 steps

 

The night before I had booked tickets to see the  art gallery orned by David Walsh, a Hobart identity and eccentric. It ios pretty famous for its antics due to artworks that can and could cause offence. I booked myself a one way ferry trip and was somehow going to return by bus or walk. I didn’t know what I was going to do at the time. I slept in and it did feel a touch cold. One of the rules for entry was no bags, so this time round I had to leave my bag behind. I had plenty of pockets in my trousers so all was good there. I had my charger, phone, wallet, sunnies and Ipod in them. I had to charge my Ipod on the go as it was flat and I had not noticed for a week. I wasn’t worried as I headed out.

 

The boat I was catching required the people to wear masks and I already had mine in my pocket so I wasn’t that concerned. It takes around 20 mins to travel from the wharf in Hobart to Mona as I had my time booked to enter at 11am. We were heading up river so got to see several places of interest like the iron smelter that had a ship waiting there and what looked to be a boat building yard, but I couldn’t be too sure even though there were warehouse like sheds big enough to store big boats. I was able to enter the art gallery 10 mins before my allotted time and what you had to do was make your way to the bottom of the stairs and work your way up. There were many controversial art that was in the building and I am guessing some were meant to offend in some way. It was easy to get lost when going through the galleries and  wonder what the line ups were about. The first room I walked into there was a portrait of Burke and Wills with a kangaroo doing questionable things. I was surprised and I think people who visit would know something like this would happen. There was an app that told you what things were nearby and I was happy for that even though I still got lost. Towards the end I found a map on my phone through the app. I came across a wall of vaginas that looked like they were plaster casts, I could have waited to see a sarcophagus although I was wondering if the gallery owner had been allowed to bring a few Egyptian artefacts back. No idea if those were real or not. There was a poo making machine that was fed twice a day and then had a poo at 3pm. They had specific times for the feeding too. It made me think about the cow milking machines. I did enjoy myself and found a few interesting things there.

 

I was getting hungry and after getting myself a tote bag, I found somewhere to get something to eat. I was after something fast and easy and that was hot chips. Once I had eaten, I realised one thing and that was I had missed the boat as I thought it was going to hammer down with rain and a bus was another hour away. I asked at the ticket desk if it was easy to walk back to Hobart and was told unless you like walking and there might be a big bike path. I made my way out the front and followed the footpath until I came to a sign saying bike track. I nearly didn’t choose to walk it and realised it was a great idea. It was around 12 kms back to Hobart and I was walking. I had music so was happy for that. Along the way I did stop at a shopping centre to visit Coles for a bottle of water as I thought I would need it. People on foot and with bikes did pass. The great thing about the track was it followed rail lines though I am unsure if they are actually used as there were no stations apart from the transport museum. I havnt seen such a great bike path before in all honesty on my other trips especially one that basically went 12 kms into the city. Along the way I seen another river that you could follow from Mount Wellington to the waterway. I did see the exit of the Hobart stream, but you had to know what it was or else you would have thought it to be a storm water drain. There were plenty of places that you could jump off the track and head elsewhere. It was starting to get dark when I made it to the city and got some food before returning to my room for a well earnt rest.

 

I havnt planned anything for my last day in Hobart, but I don’t think I will make it to Richmond this time round as I havnt visited the Maritime museum yet and I have been wanting to do that one. There are still places within the CBD that I want to look at and I think I need an easy rest day since its my last day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment