Thursday, March 17, 2022

Holiday Kaos theory

 

Back in June 2021, I booked myself some holidays for end of March 2022 with a return from holidays for the Easter long weekend, where I would be working. The plan at the time was for a two week holiday in New Zealand since I had not been able to visit since I had to leave in a hurry around March 2020 due to the epic Australian and New Zealand lockdowns due to a pesky pandemic deciding to say hello.

 

I had decided at the time to wait until closer to the time I wanted to leave as things do change rapidly as they tend to do. The first change that occurred was the date change for the band I wanted to see was Kiss deciding they wanted April as a touring month, smack bang in the middle of my holiday. That just meant a shorter New Zealand trip. Pretty soon that vanished as New Zealand locked their border until around April and then extended until July of 2022. Not much I could do at that point and without anything planned, I was lucky.

 

Where was I going to go over my two week break since Kiss had again decided that because Western Australia wasn’t going to allow them in, they would delay again to September. My holidays were clear again. The thought occurred to me that I could go on a road trip on my beast all the way out to Stanthorpe, or even Port Macquarie. Then on discussion with my dad over holidays and it was suggested Tasmania.

 

Looking into Tasmania, I knew what I wanted to do and that was to fly into Hobart and spend a week there visiting the historic sights like Port Arthur and a few historic cemeteries. As the plan grew, I ended up in Launceston and Devonport to catch the ferry, Spirit of Tasmania to Melbourne. That was going to be a day trip until I thought I should use it as a night crossing and sleep instead of arriving in Melbourne at night. I decided that since I was in Melbourne, I may as well do a tour on the Great Ocean Road and see a show of course.

 

In some way I was actually lucky to plan a trip away instead of doing a road trip as mother nature called and there was catastrophic flooding along most east coast regions in NSW. That would mean many roads would require repairing, and the likelihood of accommodation had been damaged by the excessive water that had been around. There would be no guarantee that I wouldn’t have been hit with more wild weather while on the road. That meant this time around I was heading to a place similar to New Zealand, but not New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment