Monday, June 27, 2016

Boots tour of Sydney Day 2. Rose Bay and Darling Harbour




Steps 25759 and 17.87kms

Today was an early start where I wanted to get a ferry as early as possible to get to Rose Bay and then later on for a trip to use my museum pass that I had won from a magazine. The alarm went off and I made myself ready before heading off. I actually just missed the ferry that I wanted to catch so had to wait a short time for the next one to arrive. I was not worried in the slightest as I was to have breakfast with Dawn who I had not seen for a while. When I caught up to them even though the weather was trying hard to rain, but succeeding in being cold instead. Lucy was happy to see me and jumped up on me with her paws on my shoulders though a Greyhound is a much bigger dog than a small on like Jez at home. She is an assistance dog so is allowed into shops even though people will do a double take at.

After being coffeed and eaten, I went to show Dawn something I had found online by accident. There was a building called Fenliegh Castle that is a heritage listed building, but not open for people to look around.  We did find it and there were spectacular views of the harbour. I was happy to have found this place and there was a huge cathedral that was further up the road. Dawn left me to walk up alone though on my way I found I went Emma’s Well that was a water supply at one stage though I don’t know much about it other than what was there on the plaque. A very random find I had not expected and one to look at. I found the cathedral further up, but also found it to be part of some Sacred hearts private type school so taking photos might get me into trouble. I did look around before heading back down the hill towards the ferry that I hoped would be waiting. I found there was still some time before the ferry so went walking along the promenade before turning back. I stayed inside the ferry watching the rain hit the windows.

Once off the ferry I was going to head to Darling Harbour via The Rocks. Thing was once I got to the end of Argyle street, I became lost and had to google the map up to see where to go. On the way I took several little lanes that took me behind buildings with some interesting views and came out at Kent street, where I took another lane that had me on the street I wanted. I had seen a Gas lane that turned out to be where the Australian gaslight company was first built. Nearby was a removalist called Frogs with Kermit attached to the bullbar. I did find that I could not walk any further along as there was nowhere to walk other down a row of stairs to where Barangaroo was being built. Once I had turned back I had noticed someone had dropped a card of some sort and realised it was my Opal card that came out with my phone when taking pictures. Thinking I was lost, I soon found my way to Darling Harbour though I was on the wrong side. It was starting to rain half way across the bridge to the maritime museum. Luckily a uni friend Tracey was waiting for me inside.

We went to see one of the boats which was the HMAS Advance that was still a working vessel built in the 1960s, but was named the Ambush on the TV show Patrol Boat. It was a short tour before we stopped for lunch and then went onto the other vessels the Onslow, submarine and the destroyer HMAS Vampire. It turned out that the Onslow had before being decommissioned done war games with the US off Hawaii and won against the latest ship the USS Carl Wilson or something like that name. Later on the Onslow came back with a broom on its mast meaning a clean sweep. I thought this story was funny. I took Tracey into the main part of the museum as she had not realised the boats were not just the only attractions as there was more inside. It was not long before Tracey had to go though we both had studied at the uni about the history of the navy in Oz though seeing things like Fort Macquarie and Man o War wharf as they once were was interesting. There was the exhibition about the finding of Longatude, which came with a huge reward. I lost my hat in the exhibition as it was in my pocket and I found it again at the front counter to the exhibition. I thanked the people for finding it. Other bits included the use of convict ships, the anchor of the Sirus that was wrecked and even the story of the Batavia that sunk off WA. Time was slowly running out and I had to move on.

I didn’t want to get caught in the dark so went over to where the Queen Victoria building is so that I could visit a book shop I liked. I didn’t buy anything though. I did get caught in the dark with a crowd of people and the light rail construction that they are doing. I was not too worried as i knew what direction the hostel was so I couldn’t really get lost. There were maps like at Martin Place where I could make sure, but once I seen a train at circular Quay then I knew I was close enough to my destination. I needed food before I could relax in my room with two Germans and an Indian bloke from Mumbai studying in Baltimore. I like having a 4 bed dorm as there are not too many people or beds. A place to relax and use for sleep before heading elsewhere. Tomorrow I am heading to Liverpool to have a look around before going back into the city for lunch near Haymarket with another person from uni. Sounds like it will be a busy day so should be fun.

3 comments:

  1. It was so lovely to catch up with you, Brad! xo <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the time at the Maritime Museum with you Brad x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Tracey. Was a good day even if it was shocking weather.

      Delete