Monday, April 14, 2014

Brads thoughts on the Occupy London mob in 2011



The last time I was in London towards the end of 2011, it was when the Occupy movement was in full swing around the world. While it never was given much thought to myself as it was a bunch of Americans in America doing their own thing. I did buy a magazine as I was down in Dover and what I read about the occupy movement in London astonished me. They were camping at St Paul’s Cathedral in the middle of the city, which I think was called the bastion of economic power from the past. I had thought the place to be protesting would be at Canary Wharf as it was the area where the stock exchange is I think. Could be wrong.

The act that did not impress me about the Occupy London mob though I did visit them to see if they were interesting. My interest lasted 5 whole minutes as I was more interested in exploring the city of London. What didn’t impress me was that the people were urinating in the cathedral grounds. I didn’t see any working toilets in the area and it was close to when the Lord Mayors parade was occurring too. I am not religious, but sacred ground being desecrated by human waste especially being in a historic building build by Christopher Wren. It might be a good cause and all, but they should be living like civilised people and not uncivilised living in their own waste. My belief is they should have known better and done something about it, but I don’t know the full story either as I was a simple tourist.

The other thought was at the time was they were waiting for the Lord Mayors Parade as they had the best seats for the Lord Mayor who was walking up the stairs to the cathedral. I was laughing when the whole group on the parade day that the protesters were drowned out by the crowds. The Lord Mayors parade was the best day I had in London as they shut down some of the roads and I could walk in the middle of the road for a little while outside St Pauls to the Law court further down the road.


Sources


St Paul's staff have to clean up human waste INSIDE the cathedral as protesters 'use it as a latrine'




St Paul's protest: 'Defecation and drugs' at Occupy camp

No comments:

Post a Comment