Sunday, March 5, 2023

Melbourne Odyssey: Day 7 Delay of my life



 

By the numbers

Bag 15 kilos

1 plane

 

This journey has really been very interesting as it has stretched my patience pretty far especially with having a flight cancelled and then the delays on top of that to even begin the holiday. The plan just didn’t go very far and had to change pretty quickly especially through rebooking. The having the room that was booked cancelled as the money somehow didn’t clear. Still I could work around everything.

 

Today I was actually returning home to the Gold Coast from Melbourne and I was up early to get the bus to the airport, which is a good thing. The hotel was really good about me checking out, although I am confused over one thing. The info says to leave the towel on the floor if you want a new one. It was hanging up and I got new ones anyway. Not that I would call that a problem. The hotel held $100 as a deposit that you would receive back on checkout, although that wouldn’t happen on a weekend.. The bus to the airport was running how it was supposed to be and once I jumped off I soon realised that I was a little lost after coming out of the toilets. I found I was walking through International arrivals and knew I had gone the wrong way when I seen the words Qantas link. Back the way I walked to find I went in the wrong direction from the bus terminal.

 

The best part of walking in the wrong direction until I found my way back to Terminal 4 was that I still had 10 mins before the bag drop opened so an aimless wandering didn’t hurt me too badly. Once my bag was on its way, I went through security and onto the worlds slowest Maccas. Maybe they are normal speed, but the airport sends the system into overdrive. The food arrived quickly, but it was a little bit of a wait for the coffee to arrive as I think it was 10 to 15 min wait with the crowd growing. My number was 170 and the numbers they were calling out was 128. I took my time with the coffee and by the time I ended up at the departure gate the line was beginning to grow as we were told to go to our gate. When the gate closing time approached, we were told they were waiting for the pilot and crew to arrive. During this time there were flights they were being delayed and even had gate changes within the Jetstar boarding area. Some of it was interesting to watch, but I would hate to be the guy in the background trying to sort out the many issues that appear. The flight crew eventually arrived though they had to prep the plane, and then we were boarding, when we were meant to be departing. Being around half hour late wasnt as bad as arriving late at night. One seat directly in front of me I seen a baby and I was getting worried. Quietest baby ever. I was happy so long as the plane wasn’t canned and had to go look for another one. I think we arrived around an hour late, though that is Queensland so we probably arrived early.

 

The Gold Coast terminal was walked into was the old immigration area of the old international section that was now extra domestic terminal for us. That meant we had to walk through the entire terminal to reach the baggage collection. Domestic was actually really busy for a Sunday. I made it to the Bag collection only to see my bag on the other side travel out the back, so my bag came home before I did and wait for its return I did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment