Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Eureka Day 8 Windswept in Melbourne



Eureka Day 8 Windswept in Melbourne


I woke up late this morning and i think it was best that I was allowed to sleep in for a little bit. The weather from the sounds of it outside the window was something that really was not nice at all. I was planning to freestyle around Melbourne with a first stop at the Melbourne General Cemetery. Once I had left the house I wandered through the streets of Oakleigh and found it interesting looking at what the Greek community has with the shops. They sold plenty of food products that I had not seen back in Tweed. Fish mongers and butchers working together with the big two supermarkets. I guess they all complement each other in their own ways. I like being near a train station as I can always go into town with no problems at all.

My plan didn’t turn out the way I thought it would. I ended up in the city and had to get onto the tram that was heading towards Coburg. I thought I could catch it from Flinders street, but it was actually on Elizabeth street instead. Not very far from the station at all and this was my first real tram I was catching other than something like the circle line. I am still not totally sure about the trams, but this was enjoyable. I got a shock when I got off as cars behind were not moving, but I thought I would wear a car as I was that far from the stop.  Turns out when discussing it later that the cars have to stop or else they get a fine. The weather was actually pretty windy and my thoughts was to get to the cemetery, but first I will have a coffee at the university. The door to the cafe due to the wind was hard to open and I was not the only one surprised. Friends on Facey were telling me to turn back and seek shelter as the weather guys were predicting trees to be falling down and would not be a great place to be in a cemetery. I tried walking a bit further once I had my coffee, but had to admit defeat even though I was close to the destination. I didn’t know if I would get very wet. I was happy to have seen a stone laid by Nellie Melba in the university. I did learn this weather was normal for Melbourne, but some places did lose power. I was messaging people hiding behind a museum realising I should turn back and follow the advice of others.

One destination I decided would be best in the weather was the Queen Victoria Markets. Walking with the wind seemed better and there was a little bit of rain as well. I was looking for the John Batman monument that was there. I knew the markets were the location for a cemetery. I didn’t know people were still under there. I was following the history of the markets and I had lunch, which was something that was needed. I think I found all I was wanting at the markets and I never bought anything at all. Only things was food, but that was something I needed. Off into the city I went looking for my favourite bookstore called Minotaur. It didn’t disappoint as I found something I was after. I found another bookstore called Dymoks and stayed for coffee. A book I had been looking for was a little expensive being $50 and I don’t think I really need to read it. I went hunting down the state library that I always visit when in Melbourne. Near the Latrobe statue I nearly slipped over on the mud. That generated some laughs from passerbys.

I didn’t know where I wanted to go next, but found another university with Francis Ormand standing there. I was interested and walked to the other side. Looking at the map I found I was close to the old Melbourne Goal. I walked around the block past the 8 hour work monument that was outside the goal. I seem to find a few of those. The Melbourne Goal’s courtyard was actually open so I could visit as I had always seen it shut up. Ned Kelly was mentioned on several occasions on the outside. I know he is mentioned many times on the inside. From there I went to parliament via the bottom edge of the Carlton gardens. I was distracted by the St Patrick’s Cathedral. It was a huge building and I did walk the grounds finding a few statues and the original building where part of a tower marked the location. I found the parliament building with a large amount of police floating around. It was starting to become dark and on several occasions I had used the loo at that station including having to use my myki card, but not getting charged for it. I was going to leave, but found trains delayed and huge crowds getting on. I decided to leave and come back an hour later.

My phone was nearly dead as I walked around the Treasury gardens and headed for food. Some random guy asked me if I played the trumpet and if I was British. I laughed and said no. He did talk to some lady who walked off very fast. He did see m again on the other side of the road, but I walked off looking for food and hoped he was not around when I came back. After a quick meal I was off again back to the station. I was wondering what was with the police bikes in front of the parliament building so I had a sticky beak. They were protesting Tony Abbott and after a new election. Several people were wearing the anonymous masks, but I don’t know if they were the real deal. I headed home on the next train after spending a few minute looking at what was going on. Trains were still delayed and I later found there had been an accident at Caulfield, but I had no problems. I had heard Dandenong line had problems with snow. I had found my way back with no problems either and the bad weather seemed to have eased.

No comments:

Post a Comment