Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 30. From Whangarei to Auckland



Day 30 Tripping from Whangarei to Auckland

I did get to sleep in for at least a little bit before I had to get up. I had gone to bed after midnight as I had been given a mystery box to have a look through. It had been hanging around for several days and I had only seen several pics in there. When I did rummage through I found many pictures and several documents that were of interest. There was too much for me to take in one hit home and I was interested in the books written by my great grandfather who was a farmer. They were about the stock they had on the farm, but still interesting. In the morning I had gone through many of the photos with granny and Claude to workout what was what or who were many of the people in the pictures especially when some said me underneath. At least it was easy to work out once granny and claude had their eyes on them.

I did get to go out to the one place I had not visited yet on my trip. Whangarei falls, which is the local water fall that is close to where Granny and Claude are within walking distance. I took a walk all the way down to the bottom, while claude looked from the top. By the time I returned by another route, he had already walked home. I knew he was going to do that and I walked back another way hoping I would remember my way back. I did remember and had nearly walked all the way past before realising I was at my destination. They did have a hot lunch when we finally ate after I was going through pictures and placing some into my bags. I did tell them that anymore mystery boxes appear, then I would like to lay a claim to them as anything is of interest especially files from the 1920s or 30s. I think my bag is now heavier and did feel it, although the stuff I have is bulky too like the photo albums.

I caught the bus on time and it was a nice trip back to Auckland with me worrying at several times if it was going to be wet when I reached the city. I never read a book the entire time and was listening to my ipod the entire time as I was listening to my podcasts I had. Several had NZ history including one about public servants that I still have no idea what it was about. Once the bus stopped in Auckland I knew I had to walk up Queen street to the YHA. I soon learnt that my bags were heavy and my normal bag was light though. The part that wore me out was having to walk up a very steep slope to the hostel and I was puffing and had a stitch. I was not the only one who got caught by this as the hostel people were telling me. They seemed to have over booked and I was upgraded to a two bed room that I have to stay with another guy, but thats all cool. Only one snorer and not a whole chorus with backup singers when you are in a hostel. I did go out and have a look around hoping to get hold of a timetable for the morning, but I couldn’t get that as the info centre at Britomart was shut being 7pm. I had all the stuff on my computer though. Through my wandering I did find the Auckland Council archives that I had not been looking for, but will visit to see what they do actually have.  In the morning I am going to visit the national archives in Auckland.

Tip
No internet or Wifi at the hostel, try Macdonalds for free wifi. Europe and UK seem to be superfast. Usually if the hostel doesn’t have internet or wifi you wouldn’t visit would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment