Thursday, May 23, 2019

Wandering boots tour: Day 4. Fast train to Berlin




I did sleep really well and was happy that I basically slept nearly all night. I knew I needed to leave the hostel at a timely manner as I wanted to make sure I was at the station waiting for the train to arrive. I had to strip my bed and get my deposit back for my towel. Not sure if I would stay where I am again unless it was a private room. The top bunk is high off the ground and I have a blister on my little toe from my boots. Happens to be on  the base so unsure if it was rubbing or just squeezed. This was the reason I bought bandaids, but you would think they would hit your heels instead. I am not afraid of the area at all, but I am wary of some of the people wandering around, but at no point was I feeling unsafe.

I made it to the train station with heaps of time and happy to wait where I thought I would be in the correct area. It didn’t happen to be the correct area as I had to walk to the other end of the train. I boarded the train and made my way to the other end getting a little confused, but by this time it was moving and I was lucky in this respect. I found my seat and there was a guy in a business suit sitting there keeping my seat warm for me. Without a word, I showed him my booking on the phone and he did move without a complaint. I had to put my main bag above my head, so we shall see if I can get it out. I even had a coffee delivered to my seat and I had a museli bar for breakfast that was in my bag since I left home. It was satisfying.

My phone data has come in very handy as I needed the maps to get me to my next location even though I do post pictures online as I go, but the maps are really helpful in getting around. Without then I would be stuck. I am happy for my portable powerbank too as that keeps my phone charged for I tend to take video and pictures where it hits 40% pretty fast. I have been transferring my happy snaps onto my external hard drive and do turn my data off when in a wifi zone like the hostel.

The funny thing about the ticket I have was that I I could check in and the ticket said that I would not be checked. I was checked by a conductor, although I think it was because I was in first class. It didn’t worry me as I would later have another coffee and a curry wurst delivered to my seat without having to go to the food carriage. That was really my lunch and that was around an hour before I went into Berlin. The train went all the way into my station, which was the end of the line for the Frankfurt line. The main station is called the HBF and I know I have to go there on the day I go to Frankfurt. I seen the main Berlin station and it was huge. I nearly went there later on, but I ended up doing other things. The hostel would not let me check in until 3pm and I had to store my luggage somewhere. My main bag didn’t fit in the locker so that went to the train station’s locker and the others were stored in the hostels locker. Weird, I know, but it worked out even if it was annoying. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do and I checked out the lines that went to the city even if they were all confusing as the local lines were next to the long distance. I decided to leave that until the next day and see the West Side Gallery, which is the old Berlin Wall in its original place, but artists had painted over them in the 1990s. The area between the wall and the river was known as the death strip where people would be shot trying to escape. I ended up at the Berlin Wall museum and I nearly didn’t stop until some random guy to do with the museum stopped me and told me about a discount. I told him about the Berlin card and he said I got a further discount by showing both. I was going to look at the music venue for later, but that changed my mind. I would have a look at the museum. It was about the East German side that were on and had info about the drowning and included interviews from the people who were guards and escapees. There was even a bit about the bridge of spies that included the Tom Hanks movie based on the real thing. I knew bits and pieces of the Cold War and was happy to see the beginnings the middle and the end. Pink Floyd even was involved with a concert not long afterwards and his song was being played too.

The museum did kill time before I had to go back, but I went to find the music venue. I found where I had to go including lights that were basically paper machete with layers on the outside. I took the ubahn one station away as I wanted to avoid walking near dodgy traffic lights and even if there were no cars on the road, you had cyclists heading toward you on the side. I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to head back to that area later on even though I headed back to the hostel and checked in. I met up with two Aussies in the hostel from Perth. They had taken the overnight train in Amsterdam, although they had to change trains as there was a problem with one.

I showered and sorted out my gear before wandering to the Lido music venue. I had a better look in the area where I had been worried about and looked it up on my phone. Seems the area is known for young people and has a population of 12 thousand. It never said anything about feeling unsafe. I stayed until the band that I wanted to see played and I walked back to the hostel before it got too dark and late as I have plans for the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment