Monday, March 4, 2019

There’s an App for that – Travel Countdown

Random sunrise Gold Coast Airport 2016



The European adventure planning still keeps on giving plenty of gifts and learning experiences as I go along with sorting out my travel plans. These travel plans are down to the part of planning where you purchase tickets for transportation. I am using public transport throughout my journey through Germany and England. I am tweaking some of my trip to see what happens.


I plan early with the theory that I can be provided with cheaper tickets to the locations I am visiting. So far I have found this to be true. I compared the ticket prices between Copenhagen and Stockholm, that recently came online. The beginning of June the first class tickets are around $50 Australian Dollars with the second class being cheaper. Fast forward or rewind to two days from now and they were around $180 AUD or more. I never did check the second class tickets closer to the time, but I would assume they were expensive too. I did the same with the tickets from Hamburg to Copenhagen, but I never checked the price closer to the date.


I know my entire itinerary as I have it printed off and in paper form within a folder with an email address that I have my entire itinerary located within a folder corresponding to that particular period of travel as a backup. I was caught out twice with not having the correct information. Once was several nights away last trip in the UK as I was staying with a friend. I never printed the booking or recorded the date. The email had been sent to my regular email and the person back home in Australia had retrieved all emails onto the physical computer. So, I had ‘lost’ my booking as it was physically on my computer back home in Australia. Apparently, I had made a mistake with the date anyway, which I had wanted to find out. Mobile internet wasn’t really a thing around 9 years ago. Another was actually in Huntly, New Zealand where I had made a booking, but printed the reply off. Turned out it was a reply, but the person doing the booking did not actually make one. Luckily it worked in my favour and I ended up in a 7 bed room.


I did sign up for an app with the German railway line known as the DB Navigator app. The interesting thing is the online ticket is mostly English telling you where you are sitting and the carriage with seat number. I booked a seat for the 5 hour journey between Frankfurt and Berlin. The trip to Copenhagen from Hamburg had a mandatory reservation. I think that is for the ferry. The App seems easier to understand than the paper print off, I made. The self-check in part is also interesting and I have no idea how useful this actually is and where I would have to check in if there are no gates. Something to find when I am over there. I have to remember that Europe does things differently from Australia. I might need to observe the trains to understand what happens.


There will be other things that I might experience along the way including some keys that are accessed through an app. That will be something to see and find out how it works. I have no idea who or what places are the ones that require the keys though. Hopefully I get a physical key or card and something like my phone doesn’t ‘wipe’ the data and the door opener. Had that happen at one place constantly. As long as I have access to food on the trains then I will be happy and have no problems. There could be an app for that as well. The travel passes seem to have gone the same way like the Berlin Pass and the other ones too. We shall see what happens at the time. Shall be fun and the time is getting closer and closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment